Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Becoming A Vessel God Can Use


"When you think about the kind of "vessel" you are, do words like "chipped," "cracked," "broken," and "dirty" come to mind?" - These are the words which drew my eye on the back cover of Author Donna Partow's book "Becoming a Vessel God Can Use."

When I started to read the back of this book, as I always do when praying for the Holy Spirit to lead me to my next book He would have me to read, I was a little surprised. I am a perfectionist and a Type A personality however, believe it or not I often feel as if God cannot use me because I feel cracked or chipped, as Donna so perfectly put it.

A dear friend gave this book to me at a time in my life where Satan had convinced me I could not be used of God. I am so proud to say this book has become one of my all time favorites. I have read it several times through and highly recommend it to every child of God.

The book (like most of Donna's I have read) are laid out for you to work through daily as a devotional; but with so much more to it. This book is a ten week journey helping you to realize God accomplishes extraordinary things through ordinary people like you and I. (However I will be honest and tell you I cheated and read more than one chapter some days because I loved it so much).

Donna starts day one with a bang, asking the question "Do I have to be perfect?" I found this to be an awesome question because before I came to accept Christ as my Lord and Savior I thought I had to clean up my life for this Holy God to come into it. Then as a child of God I felt I had to be perfect in order for God to "really" use me.

Through the question and answer format Donna has laid out, as well as the scripture memorization, you are able to truly allow the Holy Spirit to show you that you ARE a vessel He can use. Donna says " Let go of your plans to do great things for God and cling to the truth that God is able to work through an imperfect vessel like you." How freeing that line was for me! She goes on to say " ...accepting the purpose for which God created you, even if it's not the life you envisioned for yourself. It requires being emptied of yourself and allowing God to cleanse you and fill you anew."

The ten week journey will take you through; understanding how and why God uses imperfect vessels, learning to depend on God alone and walking in "God Confidence" (love that), getting to know God, accepting the unique way God made you, emptying yourself and making room for what God wants to do in and through your life, allowing God to cleanse you, being filled and refilled with the Living Water of God's Holy Spirit, waiting to hear God's voice and the ways He speaks to us, pouring out your life in ministry as God directs, and finally experiencing the joy of being a vessel God can use!

"What does it take to be a woman who makes a difference in the world?" This is a question Donna asks so sincerely. This question drew me in because my prayer is for God to allow me to be used of Him to make a difference in this world. Donna says so perfectly "God will give you specific instructions for your life, if you will only listen and obey."

Read more about Donna Partow and other books she has authored.

Check listings to hear Author Donna Partow as a guest on Minister Sandra Hersey's Radio Show "Dose of Inspiration." where they will discuss this anointed book.

0 comments: